Agenda and minutes
To improve accessibility individual documents published after 1 May 2020 are available as HTML pages where their original format supports this
Speaking at a Council or Committee meeting
Venue: The Old Library - Oxford Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Catherine Phythian, Committee and Members' Services Officer Tel: 01865 252402 email DemocraticServices@oxford.gov.uk
Note: This meeting is in person and is NOT streamed live
Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest.
However, for reasons of transparency the Committee noted that the applicant, Councillor Ajaz Rehman, was known to them as an elected member of the city council and a fellow member of the committee but that this, in itself, did not constitute an interest that would affect the ability of the members of the committee to determine the application.
21/01989/FUL: 75 Langley Close, Oxford, OX3 7DB PDF 297 KB
Site address: 75 Langley Close, Oxford, OX3 7DB
Proposal: Change of use from dwellinghouse (Use Class C3) to a house in multiple occupation (Use Class C4). Provision of bin and bike stores.
Reason at Committee: The applicant (Mr A Rehman) is an elected Councillor for the Lye Valley Ward.
The Oxford City Planning Committee is recommended to:
1. approve the application for the reasons given in the report and subject to the required planning conditions set out in section 12 of the report and grant planning permission
2. agree to delegate authority to the Head of Planning Services to:
· finalise the recommended conditions as set out in the report including such refinements, amendments, additions and/or deletions as the Head of Planning Services considers reasonably necessary
The Committee considered an application (21/01989/FUL) for planning permission for a change of use from dwellinghouse (Use Class C3) to a house in multiple occupation (Use Class C4) and the provision of bin and bike stores.
The application was before the Committee as the applicant, Mr A Rehman, is an elected councillor for the Lye Valley Ward.
The Planning Officer presented the report and informed the Committee that since the publication of the agenda one further objection had been received from a member of the public. The number of representations listed at paragraph 9.5 of the report should be changed from 10 to 11. Planning Officers had considered the issues detailed in the additional objection and were satisfied that no new matters had been raised and that all of the issues were addressed in the officer report.
The Committee discussion covered the following points:
· Cycle storage – reservations were expressed about the level of security and the practicality and convenience of the proposed design for the storage of 4 or more bikes. The Committee agreed that Condition 4 should be revised to require the submission and approval in writing of detailed plans for the cycle store prior to occupation.
· Doubts that the provision of facilities (e.g. toilets and bins) were sufficient given the potential number of occupants. The Committee was advised that the proposed plans complied with the City Council’s HMO Landlord guidance and were reminded that ultimately these were matters that would be addressed by the HMO Licensing team when inspecting the property prior to issuing any licence.
· Concerns were raised over the possibility of visitors to the HMO being allowed parking permits. Officers advised the Committee that Condition 3 excluded the site from eligibility for both resident and visitor parking permits.
· The calculation used to determine whether the proportion of buildings used as a HMO within 100 metres of street length either side of the application site was queried. Officers advised that the calculation followed the methodology set out within the Local Plan under Policy H6 and Appendix 3.7.
In reaching its decision, the Committee considered all the information put before it.
After debate and on being proposed, seconded and put to the vote, the Committee agreed with the officer’s recommendation to approve the application with an amendment to Condition 4 as detailed above.
The Oxford City Planning Committee resolved to:
1. approve the application for the reasons given in the report and subject to the required planning conditions set out in section 12 of the report and with an amendment to Condition 4 (to require the submission and ... view the full minutes text for item 30.
Recommendation: to approve the minutes of the meeting held on 10 August 2021 as a true and accurate record.
The Committee resolved to approve the minutes of the meeting held on 10 August 2021 as a true and accurate record.
Items currently expected to be considered by the committee at future meetings are listed for information. This is not a definitive list and applications may be added or removed at any point. These are not for discussion at this meeting.
The Committee noted the list of forthcoming applications.
Dates of future meetings
Future meetings of the Committee are scheduled at 6.00pm on:
The Committee noted the dates of future meetings.