1-3 George Street refurbishment
1-3 George Street comprises a vacant mixed use building in a prime city-centre location. The building’s condition has deteriorated internally and in its current condition does not meet minimum regulatory energy performance and other standards. It now requires significant works to refurbish the building to provide a rental income to the council.
The project will deliver an increased level of refurbishment and will improve the attractiveness of the building to the market. Works are to include a new external lift servicing all floors, internal layout improvements to support flexible working, enhanced services, and fabric improvements to improve energy efficiency, a rear external terrace and internal lightwell.
The proposal aims to secure a BREEAM Very Good, sustainability standard through further improvements to the building fabric, both air-tightness and insulation, enhancement to triple glazed windows, as well as the use of PV at roof level.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Expenditure, income or savings of £500,000 or greater;
Decision status: Recommendations Approved (subject to call-in)
Notice of proposed decision first published: 04/09/2020
Decision due: 20 Jan 2021 by Cabinet
Decision due: 25 Jan 2021 by Council
Decision due: Before 31 Dec 2021 by Executive Director (Development)
Lead member: Cabinet Member for Planning and Healthier Communities
Lead director: Executive Director (Development)
Contact: Andrew Humpherson, Regeneration Manager Email: Ahumpherson@oxford.gov.uk.
- 04/09/2020 - Additional feasibility funding for the refurbishment of 1-3 George Street
- 01/02/2021 - 1-3 George Street refurbishment
- 08/02/2021 - Agreement with an operator to manage 1-3 George Street, with an option to manage Cave St if it goes ahead, is appropriate to use the same operator, and terms are agreeable to both parties.
- 13/08/2021 - 1-3 George Street refurbishment
- 20/01/2021 - Cabinet 1-3 George Street refurbishment 20/01/2021
- 25/01/2021 - Council 1-3 George Street refurbishment 25/01/2021