Issue - meetings
Draft Oxford Playing Pitches Strategy 2022-2036
Meeting: 13/07/2022 - Cabinet (Item 30)
The Head of Community Services has submitted a report to seek approval for the Oxford Playing Pitch Strategy 2022 – 2036.
Cabinet is recommended to:
1. Approve the Oxford Playing Pitch Strategy 2022 – 2036which will help enableresidents to maintain active lifestyles onfit-for-purpose outdoor playing pitches.
- Appendix 1 - Risk Register, item 30 PDF 63 KB
- Appendix 2 - Equalities Impact Assessme..., item 30 PDF 294 KB
- Appendix 3 - Oxford Playing Pitch Strategy, item 30 PDF 4 MB
The Head of Community Services had submitted a report seeking approval for the Oxford Playing Pitch Strategy 2022 – 2036.
The Cabinet Member for Leisure and Parks reported that the Strategy was needs and evidence based, and aligned with the Local Plan. It sought to ensure that the City had a good supply of well-managed, well-maintained and efficient playing pitches and other outdoor sports facilities which would help to encourage residents to maintain and increase an active lifestyle. Whilst there was no legal requirement for a Playing Pitch Strategy, the Council had opted to develop one in order to promote healthier living and reduce inequality. It was also recognised as good practice by Sport England, and may help to increase the amount of future grant funding which the Council could achieve. The Strategy would be reviewed every year, and refreshed on a five yearly basis.
The Active Communities Manager highlighted that development of the Strategy had been collaborative, involving amongst others the Universities, the Playing Fields Association and the Grounds Management Association.
Cabinet Members highlighted that a large number of playing fields throughout the city were owned by University Colleges and were often rarely used or made accessible for any form of community use. The Leader undertook to raise this with the Conference of Colleges.
Cabinet Members highlighted the importance of future iterations of the Strategy focussing on reducing inequality, including gender inequality, in access to sport.
Cabinet resolved to:
1. Approve the Oxford Playing Pitch Strategy 2022 – 2036 which will help enable residents to maintain active lifestyles on fit-for-purpose outdoor playing pitches.