Constitution Review 2018
Decision Maker: Council
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
An annual report to propose any required changes to the constitution.
Council considered a report of the Head of Law and Governance which detailed recommended changes to the Council’s Constitution following an annual review of the Constitution overseen by an informal Cross-Party Constitution Group.
Councillor Chapman, Board Member for Customer Focused Services, presented the report.
Councillor Simmons, seconded by Councillor Gant, proposed the following amendment which was tabled at the meeting:
Item 9 Constitution Appendix 2 p70; Appendix 1 p8 #49
Section 11.18 (c): alter the word limit on motions to 500 words (from proposed 300 words)
Councillor Chapman accepted the proposed amendment and moved the amended recommendations which were adopted on being seconded and put to the vote.
Council resolved to:
1. Approve the list of proposed amendments to the Constitution detailed in Appendix 1 and highlighted in Appendix 2 and subject to the inclusion of a further amendment to Section 11.18 (c) to alter the word limit on motions to 500 words.
2. Adopt the revised Oxford City Council Constitution as presented in Appendix 2 with the addition of the change at (1) above.
3. Delegate authority to the Head of Law and Governance to amend any further wording that is identified as being inconsistent with the changes approved by Council.
4. Delegate authority to the Head of Law and Governance to amend the Constitution to include a social media policy, following consideration and approval by the Standards Committee.
Publication date: 03/12/2018
Date of decision: 26/11/2018
Decided at meeting: 26/11/2018 - Council
- Constitution Review 2018 report to Council v1.0 PDF 144 KB View as DOCX (1) 175 KB
- Revised Appendix 1 - List of proposed amendments (revised 21 11 18) PDF 108 KB View as DOCX (2) 37 KB
- Appendix 1 - List of proposed amendments (withdrawn - see revised version) PDF 92 KB View as DOCX (3) 33 KB
- Appendix 2 Constitution Sections 1- 6 PDF 219 KB
- Appendix 2 Constitution Sections 7- 10 PDF 746 KB
- Appendix 2 Constitution Sections 11 - 16 PDF 296 KB
- Appendix 2 Constitution Sections 17 - 20 PDF 267 KB
- Appendix 2 Constitution Sections 21 - 27 PDF 297 KB