Community Infrastructure Levy - Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule
Decision Maker: City Executive Board (became Cabinet on 13 May 2019)
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To approve the Community Infrastructure Levy
(CIL) Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule for consultation
The Head of Planning, Sustainable Development & Regulatory Services has submitted a report to seek approval to consult on a new Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule.
Introducing the report Councillor Alex Hollingsworth, Lead Member for Planning and Regulatory Services said there was often confusion between the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and Section 106 funding. Developers can ask for one to be applied but not both. CIL was the government’s preferred method of collecting pooled contributions to fund infrastructure and had the advantage of accessing the money at the outset.
The Planning Policy Team Leader said that consultation about the development of the wide “Regulation 123” list could be as wide or as narrow as the Council wished. Cllr Hollingsworth said that it was not a ‘wish list’ but rather a list of projects to which money can be put. Prioritisation was important given the significant funding gap (over £130m) between the projected CIL income and the aggregate funding gap of infrastructure.
The Planning Policy Team Leader said that the economic viability study mentioned in the report was important as it would allow developers to see the impact of CIL and, therefore, whether or not a development would be viable.
The City Executive Board resolved to:
1. Approve the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule (PDCS) for consultation; and
2. Authorise the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services, in consultation with the Executive Board Member, to make any necessary editorial corrections not materially affecting the document prior to publication.
Report author: Laura Higgins
Publication date: 01/02/2018
Date of decision: 23/01/2018
Decided at meeting: 23/01/2018 - City Executive Board (became Cabinet on 13 May 2019)
- CEB Report_CIL Charging Schedule v2.5 PDF 137 KB View as DOCX (1) 181 KB
- Appendix 1_Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule_MASTER_DRAFT V7.0 PDF 557 KB View as DOCX (2) 497 KB
- Appendix 2_Draft Infrastructure Funding Gap_Jan2018 PDF 120 KB View as DOCX (3) 41 KB
- Appendix 3_Risk Register for report on CIL review PDF 38 KB