Establishment of Trust arrangements to support the redevelopment of the Museum of Oxford.
Decision Maker: City Executive Board (became Cabinet on 13 May 2019), Council
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To update Members on the Museum of Oxford Hidden Histories Redevelopment Project;
o To update Member on the Museum of Oxford Hidden Histories Redevelopment Project
o To request approval to the revised project budget.
The Head of Community Services submitted a report which sought to establish of a development trust to support the redevelopment of the Museum of Oxford.
Cllr Price, Board member for Corporate Strategy and Economic Development presented the report. He explained that the museum had secured a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant and had pledged to raise £300,000 from other sources. The second round of funding from HLF is dependent on the museum having secured funding for 80% of its pledge. Creating a development trust is one way the museum can raise this money through donations. This trust will have board members on the board.
Officers are also going to explore creating a charity trust to run the museum. A report will go to CEB later in the year outlining the development trust’s fundraising progress and whether a charity trust is a suitable model for the museum.
The City Executive Board resolved to:
1. Approve the establishment of a Development Trust as a vehicle to raise funds to support the redevelopment of the Museum of Oxford.
2. Delegate authority to the Head of Community Services to commit up to £5,000 from existing resources in order to register the fund-raising vehicle with the Charity Commission.
3. Delegate authority to the Head of Community Services to agree detailed arrangements relating to the Development Trust.
4. Delegate authority to the Head of Community Services to explore the future establishment of a full Charitable Trust to manage the long-term development of the Museum of Oxford.
5. Instruct the Head of Community Services to report back to City Executive Board at a future date on progress in relation to the establishment of a full Charitable Trust. The report should include the Trust remit, revised charitable aims (objects), and a draft business plan outlining proposals for staffing, financial management and other aspects of the Trust’s future development.
Report author: Peter McQuitty
Publication date: 23/01/2017
Date of decision: 19/01/2017
Decided at meeting: 19/01/2017 - City Executive Board (became Cabinet on 13 May 2019)
Effective from: 26/01/2017