Supporting a People's Vote on the final Brexit deal
Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Tidball left the meeting before this debate.
Councillor Turner left the meeting for this motion as this related to national government policy
Councillor Simmons, seconded by Councillor Wolff, proposed the submitted motion as set out in the agenda and briefing note.
After debate and on being put to the vote, the motion was agreed.
Council resolved to adopt the following motion:
This Council notes that:
· More than 70% of Oxford residents voted to remain in the EU
· There are a large number of non-UK EU nationals living in Oxford who remained concerned at the impact of Brexit
· Full Council has passed several motions supporting the various benefits of EU membership
· A report commissioned by Scrutiny’s Finance Panel shows a range of negative impacts that a ‘bad’ Brexit deal could have on Oxford’s economy and the City Council’s finances
· The recent warning by BMW (who are already building Minis in the Netherlands) that its manufacturing set-up would not be able to cope were Brexit to disrupt cross-border trade; concerns echoed by many other businesses
· Many residents and politicians from the City attended the march in London on 23 June 2018, the second anniversary of the EU referendum, in support of a People's Vote on the final Brexit deal.
This Council also notes that the recent ‘Chequers Statement’, issued on 6th July 2018 (and the closest indication yet of what a final deal might look like), has managed to alienate both Remainers and Brexiteers alike.
This Council therefore:
1) Wishes to formally add its voice to those calling for a public ‘People’s Vote’ on the final Brexit deal
2) Agrees to liaise with the official ‘People’s Vote’ campaign on ways in which it can help promote its petition
3) Agrees to write to its MPs expressing its views and asking them to support a People’s Vote
and asks the Leader to make representations and write to this effect.
Publication date: 20/08/2018
Date of decision: 23/07/2018
Decided at meeting: 23/07/2018 - Council