Resettling Syrian Refugees in Oxford
Decision Maker: City Executive Board (became Cabinet on 13 May 2019)
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To provide an update
to members on progress in accommodating Syrian Refugees in Oxford
through the Government’s Syrian Vulnerable Person
Resettlement Scheme and approve proposals to accommodate Syrian
Refugees in Oxford over the coming months.
At Council Meeting on 23rd September 2015 Council considered a motion and agreed that the council should accommodate refugees in Oxford. Following that officers have been working with the Home Office to make arrangements for Oxford to participate in the government scheme. These arrangements have only recently been confirmed and this is the first opportunity to update CEB.
The Assistant Chief Executive submitted a report which detailed progress in accommodating Syrian Refugees in Oxford through the Government’s Syrian Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme and requested approval of proposals to accommodate Syrian Refugees in Oxford.
Cllr Price, Board Member Corporate Strategy and Economic Development, presented the report. He said that he was pleased to inform the Board that the first two refugee families had arrived in Oxford and were being supported by the City Council and partner organisations. He said that he was able to accept all of the Scrutiny Committee recommendations as they reinforced the City Council’s preferred approach to work closely with partners and the County Council to co-ordinate and strengthen local arrangements for accommodating and supporting Syrian and other refugees.
The Assistant Chief Executive informed the Board that that the neighbouring district councils had expressed an interest in joining the City Council arrangements for resettling refugees. She said that she would bring further updates to the Board and to Council in 2016.
The Board noted the excellent work of Asylum Welcome and other voluntary organisations in accommodating and supporting refugees and asylum seekers. The Board thanked the Assistant Chief Executive and the Policy and Partnership Team Leader for their ongoing work in supporting the refugee programme in the City.
The City Executive Board resolved to:
1. Approve the participation in the Syrian Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme for the purpose of settling refugee families in Oxford on the terms set out in the body of the report.
2. Delegate authority to the Assistant Chief Executive, to make any necessary arrangements for effective participation within the above Scheme.
Report author: Val Johnson
Publication date: 26/08/2016
Date of decision: 17/12/2015
Decided at meeting: 17/12/2015 - City Executive Board (became Cabinet on 13 May 2019)
Effective from: 24/12/2015
- Report CEB Refugee and Asylum Seekers 171215 FINAL PDF 111 KB View as DOCX (1) 296 KB
- Appendix 1 - Refugee and Asylum Seekers Summary of agreed Motion to Council and actions taken PDF 62 KB View as DOCX (2) 17 KB
- Appendix 2 Risk Register Refugee and Asylum Seekers 171215 PDF 30 KB
- Appendix 3 Initial EqIA Refugee and Asylum Seekers 171215 PDF 120 KB View as DOC (4) 61 KB