18/03254/OUT: 263 Iffley Road, Oxford, OX4 1SJ
Decision Maker: West Area Planning Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Outline application (seeking the approval of access, appearance, layout and scale) for the demolition of single storey building to southeast side of 3 storey building. Construction of new 3 storey above ground building comprising premises for ground floor club D1/D2/social club use class and two upper floors for separate student accommodation. Alterations to layout of retained building and parking areas including relocation of parking to Percy Street only and closure of Iffley Road vehicle access and landscaping. (Amended Plans)
The Committee considered an outline application (18/03254/OUT) for planning permission for the demolition of single storey building to southeast side of 3 storey building; construction o9f new 3 storey above ground building comprising premises for ground floor club D1/D2/social club use class and two upper floors for separate student accommodation; alterations to layout of retained building and parking areas including relocation of parking areas including relocation of parking to Percy Street only and closure of Iffley Road vehicle access and landscaping (amended plans).
The Planning Officer presented the report and made the following verbal updates:
· The public consultation has been extended to 20th June 2019. Natural England has submitted a “no objection” response.
· revised comments have been received by the Crime Prevention Design Advisor. These do not constitute an objection but are a list of potential and desirable measures to include and improve the scheme from a crime prevention perspective. The applicant is aware of these comments and some have already been incorporated in the development plans.
The Planning Officer made the following points of clarification and correction:
· Paragraph 2.2 and Condition 3i): the appearance of the development is to be considered at outline stage and is not a reserved matter.
· Paragraph 2.6: the correct reference is to paragraph 11 of the NPPF not paragraph 14.
The Planning Officer informed the Committee that any references in the report to “less than substantial harm” (paragraphs 10.35 and 11.4) had been included in error. He confirmed that the officer recommendation to approve the application was on the basis that the development presented no harm to the Conservation Area.
Henry Venners, agent, spoke in favour of the application.
The Committee asked questions of the officers and public speakers about the details of the application.
In reaching its decision, the Committee considered all the information put before it.
After debate and on being proposed, seconded and put to the vote, the Committee agreed with the officer’s recommendation to approve the application.
The West Area Planning Committee resolved to:
1. approve the application for the reasons given in the report and subject to the 20 required planning conditions and 6 informatives set out in section 12 of the report and grant planning permission; and
2. delegate authority to the Acting Head of Planning Services to:
a) consider and deal with any new material planning considerations that may be raised through public consultation, which expires on the 20 June 2019 including deciding whether it is necessary to refer the application back to the committee prior to issuing the permission;
b) finalise the recommended conditions as set out in this report including such refinements, amendments, additions and/or deletions as the Acting Head of Planning Services considers reasonably necessary; and
c) issue the planning permission.
Publication date: 12/06/2019
Date of decision: 11/06/2019
Decided at meeting: 11/06/2019 - West Area Planning Committee
Effective from: 15/06/2019