Cross Party Motion: Oxford European Charter
Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Tanner, seconded by Councillor Garden, proposed the submitted cross party motion as set out in the agenda and briefing note.
After debate and on being put to the vote the motion was agreed.
Council resolved to adopt the following motion:
1. Oxford City Council reaffirms its determination that Oxford should remain an international, open, and welcoming European city.
2. The Council believes that, irrespective of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, rights of EU27 citizens who have made their homes here should be fully maintained and, that their electoral participation rights should be extended, to make our democracy more inclusive.
3. We call on the Government and all employers, institutions and authorities in Oxford to do all they can to respect, protect, and fulfil the rights to which EU27 citizens are entitled, and to ensure they are not discriminated against in any way.
4. In particular, we call for EU27 citizens living in Oxford to have rights to:
a. Live, work, study, and retire in the UK
b. Enjoy a lifelong guarantee that they can leave the UK and return thereto
c. Retain their existing right to vote in all local government elections
d. Be suitably enfranchised in national elections and referendums
e. Be able to register for settled status without onerous proof or excessive cost
f. Naturalise, should they wish to do so, at the cost of administration
5. We recognise the hugely valuable contribution that migrants, from the rest of Europe and around the world, have made to our city, and are making to the culture, prosperity and success of Oxford.
Council resolves to:
1. ask the Leader of the Council to write to the Prime Minister and local MPs to convey the City Council’s views as expressed above.
2. ask the City Executive Board to do whatever it can to support this Oxford European Charter.
Councillor Turner arrived at the end of this item.
Publication date: 03/12/2018
Date of decision: 26/11/2018
Decided at meeting: 26/11/2018 - Council