Council Tax 2019-2020
Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Bely-Summers left before the vote on this item.
Council considered a report of the Head of Financial Services setting out the necessary calculation to enable Council to set the 2019/20 Council Tax for Oxford City.
Councillor Turner, Board Member for Finance and Asset Management, moved and Councillor Brown seconded the recommendations.
In accordance with legislative requirements, a recorded vote was then taken:
For the recommendations to Council – Councillors Altaf-Khan, Arshad, Azad, Brown, Chapman, Clarkson, Cook, Corais, Curran, Djafari-Marbini, Donnelly, Fry, Gotch, Harris, Hayes, Hollingsworth, Howlett, Kennedy, Landell Mills, Lygo, Malik, McManners, Munkonge, Pressel, Rowley, Rush, Simm, Simmons, Linda Smith, Roz Smith, Tanner, Tarver, Taylor, Turner, Upton, Wade, Wolff (37)
Against and abstentions – none
Council resolved in accordance with the named vote above to approve for 2019/20:
1. The City Council’s precept and Council Tax requirement of £14,201,686 including Parish precepts and £13,941,621 excluding Parish precepts;
2. The average Band D Council Tax figure (excluding Parish Precepts) of £307.80 a 2.99% increase on the 2018/19 figure of £298.86. Including Parish Precepts the figure is £313.54, a 3.21% increase (see paragraphs 2 to 6 of the report);
3. A contribution of £10,000 to Old Marston Parish Council in recognition of the additional expenditure that the Parish incurs as a consequence of maintaining the cemetery (see paragraphs 12 and 13 of the report);
4. The amount of £603,750 to be treated as Special Expenses (see paragraph 19 of the report);
5. The Band D Council Taxes for the various areas of the City (excluding the Police and County Council’s precepts) as follows:-
Old Marston £340.49
Risinghurst and Sandhills £329.55
Blackbird Leys £313.44
Unparished Area £310.35
These figures include Parish Precepts and special expensing amounts as appropriate; in addition to the City-wide Council Tax of £294.47.
Council resolved to note:
6. Oxfordshire County Council’s precept and Band D Council Tax as set out in paragraph 22 of the report.
7. The Police and Crime Commissioner for the Thames Valley’s precept and Band D Council Tax as set out in paragraph 23 of the report, and
8. The overall average Band D equivalent Council Tax of £1,988.65 including Parish Precepts (the Head of Finance having had confirmation of the Band D figures noted above from the County Council and Police and Crime Commissioner).
Report author: Adrian Wood
Publication date: 06/03/2019
Date of decision: 13/02/2019
Decided at meeting: 13/02/2019 - Council