Purpose of committee
The Cabinet takes most major Council decisions. It recommends the Budget and Policy Framework to Full Council and is responsible for implementing these policies and spending the budget. The Cabinet also monitors financial and non-financial performance against corporate targets and budgets.
Number of Councillors: 10 – appointed to a specific portfolio
Frequency: 12 scheduled meetings per year
Before May 2019, the Cabinet was called the City Executive Board. Information about the Board and its meetings can be found here
Councillors can address the Cabinet
Oxford City councillors may, when the Chair agrees, address the Cabinet on an item for decision on the agenda (other than on the minutes). The member seeking to make an address must notify the Head of Law and Governance by 9.30am at least one clear working day before the meeting, stating the relevant agenda items. An address may last for no more than three minutes. If an address is made, the Cabinet member who has political responsibility for the item for decision may respond or the Cabinet will have regard to the points raised in reaching its decision.
Councillors speaking on Neighbourhood issues (10 minutes in total)
Any City Councillor can raise local issues on behalf of communities directly with the Cabinet. The member seeking to make an address must notify the Head of Law and Governance by 9.30am at least one clear working day before the meeting, giving outline details of the issue. Priority will be given to those members who have not already addressed the Cabinet within the year and in the order received. Issues can only be raised once unless otherwise agreed by the Cabinet. The Cabinet’s responsibility will be to hear the issue and respond at the meeting, if possible, or arrange a written response within 10 working days.
Items raised by Cabinet members
Such items must be submitted within the same timescale as questions and will be for discussion only and not for a Cabinet decision. Any item which requires a decision of the Cabinet will be the subject of a report to a future meeting of the Cabinet.
- Councillor Susan Brown (Chair) Leader of the Council, Board Member for Economic Development and Partnership
- Councillor Linda Smith (Deputy Leader) Deputy Leader (Statutory), Board Member for Leisure and Housing
- Councillor Ed Turner Deputy Leader, Board Member for Finance and Asset Management
- Councillor Nigel Chapman Board Member for Customer Focused Services
- Councillor Mary Clarkson Board Member for Culture and City Centre
- Councillor Tom Hayes Board Member for Safer, Greener, Environment
- Councillor Alex Hollingsworth Board Member for Planning and Transport
- Councillor Mike Rowley Board Member for Housing
- Councillor Marie Tidball Board Member for Supporting Local Communities
- Councillor Louise Upton Board Member for Healthy Oxford
Support officer: John Mitchell, Committee and Member Services Officer.