17/00617/CT3: Oxford City Council Depot, Marsh Road, OX4 2HH
- Meeting of East Area Planning Committee, Wednesday 2 August 2017 6.00 pm (Item 23.)
- View the background to item 23.
Proposal: Extension of depot to provide additional storage space for up to 5 years, reconfiguration and extension of car park, installation of cycle parking, widening of access and erection of fencing. (Amended description) (Additional information).
Site Address: Oxford City Council Depot, Marsh Road, Oxford OX4 2HH
The Committee is recommended to:
(a) Approve the application for the reasons given in the report and subject to the required planning conditions set out in section 10 of this report and grant planning permission.
(b) Agree to delegate authority to the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services to:
Finalise the recommended conditions as set out in this report including such refinements, amendments, additions and/or deletions as the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services considers reasonably necessary
The Committee considered an application 17/00617/CT3 for planning permission for the extension of the depot to provide additional storage space for up to 5 years; reconfiguration and extension of car park; installation of cycle parking; widening of access and erection of fencing.
The Planning Officer presented the report and made the following verbal updates:
· Condition 1 – the wording would be revised to make it clear that the permission was for temporary depot extension and permanent car park reconfiguration and extension;
· Condition 19 – this could be removed as the applicant had provided further information on noise and odour management at the site and the Council’s Environmental Health officers were satisfied that the measures taken were acceptable.
· A new condition would be added to provide final details of fencing for the site.
Hazel Dawe and Judith Harley spoke against the application.
Thomas Edwards (Agent) spoke in favour of the application.
In coming to their decision the Committee considered the planning officer’s report including summaries of applicant policies and comments from the public; the officer’s presentation; the speakers’ comments; and answered to questions asked of officers, the public speakers and the applicant’s agent.
The Committee asked questions and noted in answer, including but not restricted to
· The prospects of finding an alternative depot site within five years – the applicant was actively pursuing options for the depot relocation
· Any application for an extension of the planning permission would be considered on its own merits.
· Details of surface water drainage scheme – this would be covered in Conditions 5, 6 and 7
· Ecology survey and wildlife corridors – the Council’s biodiversity specialist was satisfied with the results of the ecology survey and there was no evidence that there was any need for wildlife corridor on the site
· Disabled parking provision – this would be covered by Condition 13
· Car park management plan – this would be covered by Condition 12
· Policy SR2 was relevant to the application but policy SR5 was not
The Committee discussed their concerns and the merits of the scheme, including but not restricted to:
· Whether the applicant had proven the need for additional storage for adverse weather materials and recycling at this site
· The level of harm caused by the loss of open space
· The need to apply a time constraint for the restoration of the site on the expiry of the temporary planning permission. This should be required by condition.
The Committee concluded that in view of the sensitive nature of this Council application it would be appropriate to require the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services to consult with the Chair on the details submitted to satisfy a number of the proposed conditions.
On being put to the vote a majority of the Committee agreed with the officer recommendation.
The East Area Planning Committee resolved to
a) approve the application 17/00617/CT3 for the reasons given in the report and subject to the 18 required planning conditions and 2 informatives set out in section 10 of the officer’s report and 2 additional conditions (to address fencing and time scales for site restoration)
b) grant planning permission;
c) agree to delegate authority to the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services to finalise the recommended conditions including such refinements, amendments, additions and/or deletions as the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services considers reasonably necessary; and
d) agree to delegate authority to the Head of Planning, Sustainable Development and Regulatory Services to approve the details submitted to satisfy the recommended planning conditions, with consultation with the Chair of East Area Planning Committee on the details submitted in relation to condition 1, 5, 6, 7, 12 and new condition on restoration.
Councillor Tanner left the meeting at the end of this item.
- 17-00617-CT3 Oxford City Council Depot, item 23. PDF 706 KB
- Presentation 17-00617-CT3 Oxford City Council Depot, item 23. PDF 791 KB