Agenda and draft minutes

Agenda and draft minutes

Speaking at a Council or Committee meeting

Venue: Council Chamber - Oxford Town Hall. View directions

Contact: John Mitchell, Committee Services Officer  tel 01865 252217 email  democraticservices@oxford.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chair for the Council Year 2019-20

Minutes:

The Committee Services Officer opened the meeting.

 

The Committee elected Councillor Cook  to be the Chair for the Council Year 2019/20.

 

Cllr Cook  took the Chair.

 

2.

Election of Vice-Chair for the Council Year 2019-20

Minutes:

The Committee elected Councillor Lygo to be the Vice Chair for the Council Year 2019/20.

3.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

None.

4.

Appointment of Sub-Committees 2019-20 pdf icon PDF 130 KB

The Head of Law and Governance has submitted a report to establish licensing casework sub-committees for the 2019-20 Council Year to deal with casework flowing from the Council’s responsibilities under the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005.

 

Recommendations: That the Licensing and Gambling Acts Committee resolves to:

 

1.    Appoint as many licensing casework sub-committees of three members as there are combinations of three members in the total number of members of the Committee;

2.    Note that the sub-committees’ powers and duties are as set out in the Annex to this report; and

3.    Agree the dates on which the sub-committees will meet if required.

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Law and Governance had submitted a report to establish licensing casework sub-committees for the 2019-20 Council Year to deal with casework flowing from the Council’s responsibilities under the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005.

 

The Committee resolved to:

 

1.         Appoint as many licensing casework sub-committees of three members as there are combinations of three members in the total number of members of the Committee;

2.         Note that the Sub-Committees’ powers and duties are as set out in the Annex to this report; and

3.         Agree the dates on which the Sub-Committees will meet if required.

 

5.

Annual update on Licensing Authority Activity: 2018-2019 pdf icon PDF 166 KB

The Head of Regulatory Services and Community Safety has submitted a report to inform Committee of the progress made by the Licensing Authority under the Licensing Act 2003 and Gambling Act 2005 during the full Council Year.

 

Recommendations: The Licensing and Gambling Acts Committee is

recommended to:

 

1.    Note the contents of the report; and

2.    Make any comments and recommendations regarding the future work of the Licensing function.

 

 

Minutes:

The Head of Regulatory Services and Community Safety had submitted a report to inform the Committee of the progress made by the Licensing Authority under the Licensing Act 2003 and Gambling Act 2005 during the full Council Year.

 

The Licensing Compliance Officer spoke briefly to the report, noting that five Premises Licences applications had been the subject of relevant representations, which required determination by the Licensing Sub-Committee.

 

The report drew attention to the continued high levels of enforcement and compliance work undertaken by the Authority to promote the night time economy as being vibrant and safe, and the various types of enforcement operations carried out.

 

The report also detailed the reactive enforcement following complaints from members of public submitted to the Authority in regards to licensed venues.

 

In response to questions he explained that the licensing team worked closely with other agencies such as the police and Trading Standards to conduct high visibility  checks of compliance with licensing requirements on a regular basis. Contact was made with licence holders if complaints relating to licensing matters were received.   There had been slight increase in the number of TENS applications over the previous Council year. There had also been an increase in applications for online alcohol sales, delivered to the purchaser’s address. It was noted that such sales were subject to requirements for the vendor to confirm, at the point of delivery,   that the purchaser was at least 18.

 

The Chair thanked the officers for the report and for the valuable work of the licensing team.

 

The Committee resolved to:

 

Note the contents of the report.

 

6.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 186 KB

 

Recommendation: That the minutes of the meeting held on 23 January 2019 be APPROVED as a true and accurate record.

 

Minutes:

The Committee resolved to:

 

Approve the minutes of the meeting held on 23 January  as a true and accurate record.

 

7.

Dates of future meetings

The next meeting of the Committee is scheduled on:

 

18 September 2019.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Committee is scheduled  to take place on:

 

18 September 2019.