Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Lord Mayor welcomed Councillor Liz Wade back to the Council following her election in the Wolvercote by-election on 6 December.
He welcomed the newly appointed City Rector and Vicar of St Michael at the North Gate, Rev Anthony Buckley.
The Lord Mayor announced:
- The annual Christmas Carol Concert had raised about £3000 for his charities.
- He had hosted a short service of reflection to commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day on 25 January
- The memorial service for Alderman Jean Fooks would be held on Saturday 2 February.
- The Lord Mayor’s charity dinner would be on 9 March.
The Leader of the Council announced that the civic office holders for 2019/20, subject to confirmation at Annual Council, would be:
· Lord Mayor: Councillor Simmons
· Deputy Lord Mayor: Councillor Altaf-Khan
· Sheriff: Councillor Goddard
She announced a new Co-operatives champion, Councillor Howlett, to champion the expansion of the cooperative economy in the city.
She said she would be sending a letter to the Oxford University Union expressing disappointment on behalf of the Council at their decision to continue to invite speakers promoting controversial views, and ask the Union to consider its choices in light of the disruption to the city and unnecessary costs to the police created by legitimate protests against these speakers.
Publication date: 12/02/2019
Date of decision: 28/01/2019
Decided at meeting: 28/01/2019 - Council